Monday, January 13, 2014

Charlie's first month and our first day back in church!

I haven't posted since last week, but Mondays are perfect days for fresh starts.  Right? The two big events since last time are that Charlie's first month has already passed, and we finally  made it back to church.

Charlie's First Month:
We had Charlie's first month check up Friday afternoon.  Lance wasn't able to make it, so it was a fun challenge to get us both ready, make sure he nursed, and that we got to the pediatrician's office on time.  Charlie did pretty amazing for me.  He only got fussy when it was time to strip him down for measurements.  He's grown quite a bit since he was born - weighing 10lb. 13oz. and measuring 22" long.  Lance is convinced that his birth measurement of 19" was wrong.  How else would he have grown 3" in one month.  The fact that he's gained a half a pound a week is not such a surprise.  This kid seems to be constantly nursing.  I'm so happy to have this little fella in our life.  I'm even more thankful that William seems to be adjusting to the fact that Charlie is here to stay and isn't a toy.  He loves his little brother, but has had a bit of an issue calming his rough-and-tumble 3 year old self around his fragile "best friend".  He's also settled back into a routine - which has had an amazing impact on his little attitude/acting up issue he was running into after we came home with Charlie.  Life with boys will definitely be an interesting journey.

I'm glad God thought we were worthy to take care of two of his finest!

Charlie on day 1. 8lb12oz and 19"

Charlie on day 31. 10lb13oz and 22"

Back to Church:
After a couple of months away from church, we finally were able to make it back Sunday.  We weren't able to make it to church on a consistent basis for most of my pregnancy thanks to constant nausea every time we went.  I think it was a combination of the air in the sanctuary, the slight incline of the seating area, and just feeling horrible all of the time. Once I hit about 9 months, we weren't able to make it at all.  My back had hit a point that it really wouldn't let me sit comfortably in a totally upright position.  Fortunately I was able to watch from home since Rogers First Church of the Nazarene does a live stream of their service.  We have tried once or twice to make it back after Charlie was born, but it never worked out.  Charlie decided to be a bit of a spastic sleeper Saturday night, but it worked out in our favor because it meant the whole house was up early enough to get ready and get out the door on time.  

It was so nice to be back.  Our congregation is so amazing, and we were warmly welcomed.  William was so happy to be back in church.  He has asked several times in the past few weeks when we would be going back.  As we were pulling in Sunday morning, he was ecstatically screaming, "Church! Church! Daddy, you found the church!!"  Our dear Pastor Alan even introduced Charlie to the congregation, and asked that he (me) stand up and be welcomed.  Lance and I searched for so long to find a church that felt like home to us, and that we could trust to help us raise our children with a strong relationship with God. This church is definitely it for us.  

Our sermon addressed Luke 11:1-13 (Jesus' Teaching on Prayer).  One passage that really struck me was Luke 11:9-10. "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."  I don't usually have those strong feelings that God is directly talking to me or trying to tell me something, but this sermon kind of did that for me.  I've been casually praying for a way to figure out how to be home with the boys, but now I realize I need to be deliberate and just ask God for what I need.  I am a child of God, and he's always watching over for me.  I need to turn to him when I need him, and I'm being more intentional to do that now. 


This was a pretty lengthy blog, but I had a lot to get off my mind.  I'm hoping those of you who have put forth the effort to read to this point will make a point to ask God for what you are needing his help with.  Also, if you could continue to include my family in your prayers, I'd be so appreciative!


1 comment:

  1. Charlie has incredibly grown in a span of one month. His regular nursing habits definitely added up to the huge development he showed on his first check up, which is great news because that can only mean that he's been growing and developing into a healthy boy. Thanks for that update, Jessie! All the best to you and your family! :)

    Kirk White @ MedCare

    ReplyDelete